Blog Post # 2

The Red Balloon Run and Relay is a wonderful charity run that is on October 22nd, 2011 that will be benefiting Children’s Medical Center of Dallas. Children’s Medical Center is a non-profit hospital. It is the seventh largest pediatric healthcare provider in the nation and the only academic healthcare facility in North Texas dedicated exclusively to the comprehensive care of children from birth to age 18. Children’s provides patient care ranging from simple eye exams to specialized treatment in areas such as heart disease, hematology-oncology and cystic fibrosis.

The Red Balloon Run and Relay is of interest to me and my family for several reasons. My mom has worked at Children’s Medical Center for 16 years and Children’s has taken care of both my brother and I several times, not to mention both of my parents. My family and I are big supporters of the mission of Children’s Medical Center which is, “Making Life Better for Children.” Walking in the Red Balloon Run and Relay will help raise money to help support this wonderful institution.

U.S.News & World Report repeatedly has named Children’s Medical Center one of the nation’s top pediatric hospitals. Part of earning this distinction is the hospital’s dedication to recruiting the best physicians and nurses, participating in leading-edge research and offering the best educational opportunities. Children’s Medical Center is an important advocate for children. This mission is accomplished through financial support, education, public affairs programs and the establishment of other child advocacy organizations. As you can see, Children’s Medical Center is an excellent institution and I am very excited to be participating in the Red Balloon Run and Relay that benefits it.